O'My Theater in the Classroom... We are thrilled to be providing music instruction to Ventura County Schools during the school day bringing grade levels into compliance with state and national standards for music education.
Check…and double check All of our our instructors are background checked, fingerprinted, and have shown exceptional talent working with all ages to instruct various aspects of the performing arts. We require a 1 year minimum internship with O'MyTheater before we consider classroom placement.
Curriculum Development As a result of working within a diverse community of various educational levels, we strive to remain flexible, open-minded, and creative when designing a program best suited for each classroom. Programs are typically designed to span across 12 lessons, with a variety of lesson plans catered for Kindergarten-8th grades.
As our interns develop new curriculum, information on our Programs list may change.Updates are published to our website regularly, so please check back in!
Programs *Please note that some of our programs offer final performances (which can benefit school-wide assemblies, open houses, and evening performances).
1. Why Do We Have Music? Minimum Class Time: 30 min. Max # of students/class: 50 Each lesson of this program answers the question, “Why do we have Music” within an educational setting. This curriculum, originally developed for K-3rd graders, is expanded in the upper grades to incorporate small group discussions about musical awareness and its impact on individuals as well as societies. Get caught up on state and national standards for music education...teachers learn too!!! Multiple classes across grades can be taught and culminate in one final performance.
2. Uke’s in the Classroom and ***NEW*** Bells in the Classroom Minimum Class Time: 60 min. Max # of students/class: 30 Students of all ages and musical abilities become proficient at playing an instrument that is gentle on the ears. Our instruction on the Ukulele develops fine motor skill, pitch and tone recognition, chord development and harmonization, rhythm, note values, and music theory. PLUS we choose popular songs to play from DAY ONE and encourage all of the benefits of vocal participation. (Ukuleles are provided by O’MyTheater for use during class, but not for students to check out or take home)
***Schools may wish to purchase their own set of Ukuleles through O’MyTheater to keep on site. We have partnered with a local ukulele company to provide the highest quality ukuleles (with gentle nylon strings, gears for tuning ease and sustainability, quality wood for impeccable sound and manufacturing durability) at an unbeatable price. Inquire within your school or PTA to secure a line item in the budget of $3000 for a set of 30 Ukes with bags and 10 tuners.
3. Musical Theater Minimum Class Time: 60 min. Max # of students/class: 35 This program utilizes large and small group instruction to develop singing, props, dialogue, costumes, and choreography. Multiple classes across the grade(s) can be taught and culminate in one large production in some cases. All of our productions are curriculum supportive, have quality educational content, contain fun music, offer age appropriate dialogue, and can be previewed for content. Cast comes together for a dress rehearsal and final performance to showcase an entertaining storyline in a full feature musical theater production. Total cast size can range between 30-120 students per production.
How Does Your Garden Groove?
A Small Part of the World
A Kids Life
A Christmas Carol
Shakespeare's Musical Hamlet for Kids
Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book
This program relies on additional practice time (with cd accompaniment provided) and benefits from teachers who are able to dedicate additional time to practice dialogue and play CD during the week.
4. Music Theory, Games, and Crafts Minimum Class Time: 30 min. Max # of students/class: 50 Learn music theory fundamentals (note values, rhythms, scales), harmony, singing stories, rhythm games, make and play musical instruments, intro to music technology (mics, looper, mixing for voice alteration.). Get caught up on state and national standards for music education...teachers learn too!!! *There is not typically a final performance associated with this program.
5. Developing the Voice / Performance Choir and Choreography Minimum Class Time: 30 min. Max # of students/class: 50 Vocal warm-ups, ear training, enunciation, 1(breathe) 2(tone) 3(mouth) 4(smile) focus, unison and 2 part harmony, reading music/rhythm, microphone training. Get caught up on state and national standards for music education...teachers learn too!!! Multiple classes across the grade can be taught and culminate in one large production.
6. Music and Technology: requires one to one technological devices Minimum Class Time: 60 min. Max # of students/class: 35 Learn music theory fundamentals (note values, rhythms, scales) and apply them within technological musical applications. Compose music, create looped rhythms, record selections, layer tracks, and more. *There is not typically a final performance associated with this program, however final projects are encouraged.
7. Beat Keepers Minimum Class Time: 30 min. Max # of students/class: 50 Have you ever seen a STOMP production or played the ‘Cup Song’? Learn music theory fundamentals (note values, rhythms, scales) and utilize everyday objects to create musical masterpieces. Bottles & glasses, spoons, brushes, buckets & tubs, plus plenty more everyday items are transformed into musical instruments. Get caught up on state and national standards for music education...teachers learn too!!! Plenty of rhythm games are enjoyed in this program.
8. Dance Party Minimum Class Time: 30 min. Max # of students/class: 100 Get your dose of silly camp fun. The 12 upbeat songs selected for this musically aerobic class get everyone moving. Creative choreography is easy to learn, follow, and tells its own story, motivating even the most passive students to join in the fun. Including familiar oldies like the Hokey Pokey and more modern dances like the Cha Cha slide, we offer BRAND NEW selections that bring about smiles and laughter from Kindergartners to their adult teachers and inspire everyone in-between to get up and DANCE!
This information is updated as our curriculum repertoire expands. Last updated: 06-12-17